Deb is a Founding Partner of Kuchler Polk Weiner, LLC. Ms. Kuchler graduated cum laude from the University of New Orleans with a B.A. in Education in 1980. Her primary focus was upon the secondary school instruction of English and Biology. She attended Loyola Law School in New Orleans, Louisiana at night while working full time as a natural gas contract administrator and gas supply representative for an interstate natural gas pipeline company. She was a member of Loyola Law Review and graduated in 1985 in the top 10% of the combined day and night school class. She was privileged to serve from mid-1985 to 1987 as law clerk for the Honorable Patrick J. Carr in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Deb is admitted to practice in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. She is a member of the Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas State Bar Associations, the Product Liability Advisory Council (“PLAC”), the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”) and the International Society of Barristers (“ISOB”). She is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt and puts the efficiency precepts of Six Sigma into practice in the administration of the Firm and the handling of client matters. She enjoys the scientific issues presented by her docket and typically handles the expert and Daubert issues associated with the Firm’s interesting caseload.
Deb has managed dockets of complex civil litigation in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Florida involving toxic tort and environmental litigation, pharmaceutical litigation, class actions, product liability, personal injury and commercial litigation.
Deb’s trial experience includes serving as lead or co-lead trial counsel in numerous state and federal actions, including multi-week trials in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas involving alleged chemical releases and toxic exposures, purported community asbestos and dioxin exposures, oil and gas operations involving alleged down-hole reserve losses, products liability actions, and admiralty.
More About Deb
- Strong v. E I DuPont de Nemours, 968 So.2d 140 (Miss. 2007).
- Caubarreaux v. E I DuPont de Nemours, et al., 97-978 (La. App. 3 Cir. 5/6/98); 714 So.2d 67.
- Strawder v. Zapata Haynie Corp., 94-453 (La. App. 3 Cir. 11/12/94); 649 So.2d 55.
- Gough v. Natural Pipeline Co. of America, 996 F.2d 763 (5th Cir. 1993).
- Zapata Haynie Corp. v. Arthur, et al., 980 F.2d 287 (5th Cir. 1993).
- Zapata Haynie Corp. v. Arthur, et al., 926 F.2d 484 (5th Cir. 1991).
- Zapata Haynie Corp., 980 F.2d 287 (5th Cir. 1992); K.D.D. Smith v. Cutter Biological, et al., 99-2068 (La. App. 4 Cir. 9/6/00); 770 So.2d 392.
- Brookshire Brothers Holding v. Dayco Inc., et al., 554 F.3d 595 (5th Cir. 2008).
- Hudson v. Remington Arms Co., Inc., 2005 WL 1140776 (5th Cir. 2005) (unreported).
- Ross v. Conoco, 02-0299 (La. 10/15/02); 828 So.2d 546.
- Jefferson County School Dist. v. Lead Industries Ass’n Inc., 223 F. Supp.2d 771.(S.D. Miss. 2002).
Kuchler Polk Weiner is pleased to announce the following members of our team who have been listed by Super Lawyers Magazine as Louisiana Super Lawyers & Rising Stars for 2018: Deb Kuchler, Steve Larzelere, Michele DeShazo, and Lee Ziffer. In addition, Dawn Tezino has been listed by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Texas Super Lawyer for 2018. Congratulations to you all! […]
KPW partnered with ConocoPhillip’s Legal Department for the Department’s United Way fundraiser. ConocoPhillips has supported the United Way of Houston for almost three decades. The United Way has an integral role in providing support to people in the Greater Houston Area affected by Hurricane Harvey. Deb Kuchler, Sarah Iiams, Robert Guidry, Phil Wood and Nick […]
Kuchler Polk Weiner, LLC congratulates Freightliner on 75 years of innovation. Janika Polk, Lee Ziffer and Deb Kuchler recently ran into Dale Earnhardt, Jr. at Hendrick Motorsports where Freightliner is prominent. We’re reminded of how important it is as outside counsel to learn the client’s business. What’s important to each client? What keeps a […]
Kuchler Polk Weiner attorneys attended the 2017 Dress for Success New Orleans Suits and Salads Luncheon on Friday, May 12th. The mission of Dress for Success is to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. […]
Kuchler Polk is pleased to announce the following members of our team who have been listed by Super Lawyers Magazine as Texas and Louisiana Super Lawyers & Rising Stars for 2017: Deb Kuchler, Michele DeShazo, Lee Ziffer, and Dawn Tezino. Congratulations to you all! Deborah D. Kuchler Civil Litigation, Personal Injury – Products, Environmental Litigation Selected to Super Lawyers […]
AWARDS & OTHER NOTABLES
- Selected as one of Louisiana’s Super Lawyers for the years 2008 and 2010 - present.
- August 2013 – Deb Kuchler was part of a multi-firm trial team representing a major petrochemical company in a thyroid cancer case involving alleged exposure to naturally occurring radioactive material. A Jefferson Parish jury returned a verdict in favor of the defense.Read the article >>
- 2008 – 2013 - Served on Board of Directors for Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”)
- Deb Kuchler was designated one of the Defense Liaison Counsel and a member of the Defense Steering Committee by Judge Carl Barbier in the Multi-District Litigation arising out of the blowout of the Macondo 252 Well in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, 2010.
- 2011 – Served as Convention Chair for the Annual Meeting of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel in Williamsburg, Virginia
- 2010 – Appointed as Co-Chair of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel’s Trial Masters Program
- 2010 – Served as Program Chair for the Annual Meeting of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel in Munich, Germany
- 2009 – Dean of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel’s Trial Masters Program
- 2008 – The John Alan Appleman Award presented by the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel for Outstanding Substantive Law Section Chair of the Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Section.
- 2008 – DuPont Legal Leaders’ Circle Award. The DuPont Legal Leaders’ Circle Award is presented at the DuPont Primary Law Firm/Primary Service Provider Annual Meeting to recognize leadership in embracing and promoting the ideals of the DuPont Legal Model. Criteria for selection include:
- Excellence in the delivery of legal services and results for DuPont;
- Selfless dedication to serving the needs of the DuPont Company;
- Ongoing support of the DuPont Legal Model;
- Valuing diverse legal teams and promoting the growth and development of individual members;
- Collaboration with other members of the DuPont PLF and Service Provider Network; and
- Active commitment to growing DuPont’s business.
- 2008 – Themis Award presented by the DuPont Women Lawyers Network. The Themis Award is presented annually to recognize a woman in the Network who embodies the mission of the DWLN, which is to positively impact the business of DuPont by promoting legal excellence through the success, development and professional advancement of the women lawyers representing DuPont.
- “Considerations in Formulating a Mutually Advantageous Alternative Fee Agreement: Putting ‘Skin in the Game’,” FDCC Quarterly, Vol. 59, No. 3, Spring, 2009.
- Co-author with Leslie O’Toole, “How Technological Advances in the Courtroom are Changing the Way We Litigate,” FDCC Quarterly, Vol. 58, No. 2, Winter, 2008.
- Co-author with Paul J. Schumacher, “Preventing and Managing Chemical Catastrophes: A Practical Guide for In-House and Outside Counsel,” FDCC Quarterly, Vol. 58, No. 3, Spring, 2008.
- “Overcoming Small and Mid-Size Firm Diversity Challenges,” Tort Source, A Publication of the ABA’s Tort & Insurance Practice Section, Vol. 9, No. 3, Spring, 2007.
- Co-author with Don G. Rushing, James Shomper and Chris Barbee, “Building the Virtual Law Firm Through Collaborative Work Teams,” ACCA Docket, Vol. 19, No. 9, October 2001.
- Toxic Tort Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Class Actions
- Personal Injury
- Premise and Product Liability
- Commercial Litigation
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale Price Litigation