Michele Hale DeShazo is Senior Counsel with Kuchler Polk Schell Weiner & Richeson, LLC.
Ms. DeShazo completed her undergraduate education at the Florida State University, where she was a graduate of the Honors College. In 2002, she received her Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science, with a minor in English. While in college, she was active in campus leadership organizations and served on the Executive Board of her sorority, Delta Zeta. Ms. DeShazo received her Juris Doctorate and Bachelor of Civil Law from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University in 2005, and was licensed to practice law in Louisiana that same year. While attending law school, she was active in the Legal Association for Women, as well as the Health Law Club. She also participated in a number of mock trial activities.
She is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and all Louisiana State Courts. She is a member of the Federal and Louisiana State Bar Associations. She is also active in the Defense Research Institute (DRI).
Ms. DeShazo practices in the areas of Toxic Tort Litigation focusing on Products and Premises Liability claims, Environmental Law, Hearing Loss, Commercial Litigation, Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) Litigation, and General Civil Litigation. Additionally, she has experience in Transportation law. Her focus is on efficiently and effectively managing complex multi-party litigation involving Plaintiffs with alleged physical injuries.
Ms. DeShazo resides in Covington, Louisiana with her husband, Michael.
- Joseph W. Belluck, Charles S. Siegel, Michele Hale DeShazo and Mark A. Behrens; Moderator: S. Todd Brown, 7th Annual Judicial Symposium on Civil Justice Issues: George Mason Judicial Education Program: Edited Transcripts: The Asbestos Litigation Tsunami-Will It Ever End?, 9 J.L. Econ. & Pol'y 489 (2013)
- "A Roundup of Technology Trends for Attorneys," DRI’s The Voice, March 6, 2013
- "You Want to Go to Law School? The Decline in Women's Enrollment and What That Means for Law Firms," DRI's The Voice, April 2012
- "The Interests of Medicare: An Intersection Between the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Courts," DRI’s In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2011
- "November Midterm Elections May Dramatically Alter Federal Legislation" DRI's The Whisper, November 2010
- "Federal Health Care Reform Bills Seek Universal Coverage"DRI's The Whisper, January 2010
Ms. DeShazo was the lead liaison for the DRI Federal Legislative Liaison Pilot Tracking team. She is also an active member of DRI’s Women in the Law Publications Subcommittee and serves as the Newsletter Co-Chair/Editor for the DRI Technology Committee.
- Presenter/speaker at the Covington Bar Association’s CLE, “Medicare Reporting: Navigating the Labyrinth of Regulations,” Covington, Louisiana, November, 2013
- Panelist at the Louisiana State Bar Association’s CLE program, “Superwomen: Female Attorneys Can Run the World,” New Orleans, Louisiana, May 2013
- Panelist on the “Asbestos Litigation Tsunami,” Seventh Annual Judicial Symposium on Civil Justice Issues, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, November 2012
- Louisiana Diversity Council’s Fourth Annual Louisiana Women’s Conference, “Finding Health, Wealth, and Balance in 2012,” New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2012
- Harris Martin Louisiana Asbestos Litigation Conference, submission of Medicare Secondary Payer Act (MSPA) Issues in the MMSEA, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 2011
- HB Litigation’s Chinese Drywall Symposium, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 2010
LITIGATION–RELATED AWARDS AND VICTORIES
- Ms. DeShazo has received the highest rating available, AV Preeminent, from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Michele Hale DeShazo was selected for inclusion on the 2012 and 2013 Louisiana Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars list. Lawyers are asked to nominate the best attorneys who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for ten years or less. The survey results are analyzed along with other evaluation criteria. The lawyers are ranked by point totals and those with the highest point totals are named to the Rising Stars list, with no more than 2.5% of the lawyers in Louisiana named to the list annually.
- Michele Hale DeShazo served as second-chair trial counsel, and later, as lead trial counsel in two prescription (akin to statute of limitations) trials in Louisiana state court involving claims of exposure to Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM). The claims were dismissed with prejudice by the Court at the close of the trial.
- As a result of ongoing discussions and early case evaluation, Michele Hale DeShazo has routinely obtained voluntary dismissals for many clients in various matters, including NORM, asbestos, and hearing loss.
- Michele Hale DeShazo has successfully argued multiple Motions for Summary Judgment and other significant motions on behalf of various firm clients across a number of practice areas.
- When early resolution and motion practice is unsuccessful, Michele Hale DeShazo has positioned cases for a successful outcome at trial.